Monday, July 28, 2008

Extremely Angry HIp


Okay my hip is angry. A bit more than its usually unruliness. Good thing I'm getting it fixed in a month. The MRI showed tissue irritation and slight cartilage damage. Luckily, the damage isn't too bad. Because of the limited damage and my thin frame, I'm able to have a third surgical option. It is a Limited Open Osteoplasty and hip arthroscopy. First a sports surgeon will use a scope to look around my hip from the side. He'll be removing any debree from the area. Next, Dr. Sink will enter the front of my hip with a 1.5-2 inch incision. This will be in the front of my bikini line (typically it is vertical but with my weight he might choose horizontal). Then he'll go in and remove the Cam section of my impingement (the bump on my femoral head). They won't be removing bone from my acetablular cup with this surgery. I chose this option because my hip sockets are fairly shallow and if they remove too much there could be dislocation problems in the future.

I'm have a pre-op appointment next Monday. He didn't require one but I have so many new questions floating in my head. Can I take a shower before my stitches are removed? What medical equipment should I purchase? Are the European or American crutches better? What will my physical therapy schedule be like? What medications will I be on? (No Naproxin!!).

My surgery is August 29th at Denver Children's Hospital at 9:30am. I will be staying at the hospital for two nights. From what I've seen online, the rooms are awesome!! They are all singles, with windows, x-box, and a sofa that folds out into a bed (for parents). If you're in the area come by to play the x-box.. and do take pictures of me in my drugged state. ;-)

No comments: